ARTHUR PHILIP 148/27
AUGUST 18, 1898
Arthur was Lindus and Amelia 148 / 2's 7th child, born July 15, 1875 and raised in Cleveland. He was a graduate of Western Reserve Academy, and studied at the Case School of Applied Science.
April 23, 1898, President McKinley called for 125,000 volunteers and Arthur enlisted in Troop A of the 1st Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. May 9th they were mustered into service and the regiment left Columbus on May 14 bound for Camp Thomas at Chickamauga, GA. Arriving the next day, they were assigned to the 1st Cavalry Brigade, same as the "Rough Riders" and the "Buffalo Soldiers."
July 13, they were all ordered to Lakeland, near Tampa. Arriving July 15, the 1st Ohio encamped near Lake Hollingsworth. Today, a quarter mile south, the Cleveland Heights Golf Course is across the street from Veteran's Park.
For their own part, being "all dressed up and nowhere to go", the regiment's purposeless days added up to bad morale. Yet they serve too, those who wait. After being in Florida for a little over a month, an armistice was declared
August 12, which ended the fighting. The 1st Ohio left Lakeland August 20 for Huntsville, but their train was delayed near Tampa.
The ignominy of being literally, sidetracked by the Express!
The rosters of the 1st City Troop before the Spanish American War are composed almost exclusively of men who were leaders in financial and commercial enterprises in the city of Cleveland. Webb C. Hayes, son of President Hayes, was commissioned major of the 1st Ohio Volunteer Cavalry and later served as a staff officer in Cuba and Puerto Rico. Before the war, Troop A was the only cavalry organization in Ohio and so took the initiative in the reactivation of the 1st Ohio Cavalry. In a few weeks they recruited sufficient personnel to fill the ranks of three troops from the Cleveland area and 19 enlisted men of Troop A were given commissions as they entered federal service.
The work of organizing the other five troops was speedily accomplished and on 5 May 1898, the regiment assembled at Camp Bushnell, ready for service. The cavalry regiment was organized into two squadrons and mustered into general service on 9 May 1898. Captain Matthias W. Day, was commissioned Lt. Colonel of Volunteers and assigned command of the regiment.After the War, he traveled the globe, to India and Japan, visiting Ethelind and Mary, his two missionary sisters. Such a grand tour included Europe as well.
After returning home, he re-joined his father and brothers in real estate development. In a few years, they returned to Polk County as real estate developers and planted citrus groves. This is how Cody Villa came to be.